[lbo-talk] literacy

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Oct 20 11:14:15 PDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 02:06 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>
>> I mean, what kind of corporate social order would want to encourage
>> independent thinking at the grade school or middle school levels? The
>> kids are to be shaped as either manager bees or worker bees, which is
>> why any attempt at the college level to break free of this mindset is
>> attacked by the right as "politicizing" the academy, etc.
>>
>> DP
>
> I'd like to argue just the opposite: a thriving capitalist society
> requires independent and innovative thought and action. True,
> lots of deskilling, but also increasing pressure to think of
> new, profitable ways of doing things. --Granted, that
> innovative frame of mind does not always apply when people
> are thinking about capitalism, but capitalism definitely
> incites individuality and innovation.

among the elite, there is probably some truth to this (would W be a counter-example?). but i'm not sure it applies across the board.

and don't we have to admit some conflict here within capitalism? a desire for innovation, on the one hand, and efficient execution on the other; freewheeling paradigm-busting, on the one hand, and auto-industry/microsoft/riaa-esque entrenchment and stifling of innovation and new business models, on the other?