[lbo-talk] literacy

Jose Rodriguez & Sally Everson pepor at caribe.net
Mon Oct 20 14:31:47 PDT 2003

It always seemed to me that the upper middle class needs to be highly skilled, trained and/or intellectual in order to maintain their social positions or improve them, while the elites rely on their social contacts --like well, GW. Wasn't it posted here that his Dad was just average on the IQ test as well? Someone like Billy Boy OTOH had to scheme his way to the top didn't he? I do not think human capacity for intellectual work / literacy has changed much over time: it seems like those who need to develop it in a certain area, would and do. Do the majority of the people in the US have any great need to be politically saavy or highly literate in the traditional sense? It doesn't seem like it. Things seem to go on pretty much the same whether you care about world/national/state/local politics or not for most people. But in other places (like here in Puerto Rico) it perhaps is still important that the average person understands whats going on at least locally and perhaps even at a state level. A change of party in power here can change quite a lot -- from University president down to work brigades painting public schools and cafeteria workers. Though recent polls show that political scene is changing on the island - voting trends and interest in politics among younger people is way down. But I wonder if once they get into the workforce fulltime that could change dramatically since every workplace is said to be politically charged. That is not to say we don't have our actors-turned-legislators - money and popularity gets you very far today, indeed.

Sally Everson

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of jeffrey fisher Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 2:14 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] literacy

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 02:06 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>
>> I mean, what kind of corporate social order would want to encourage
>> independent thinking at the grade school or middle school levels? The
>> kids are to be shaped as either manager bees or worker bees, which is
>> why any attempt at the college level to break free of this mindset is
>> attacked by the right as "politicizing" the academy, etc.
>>
>> DP
>
> I'd like to argue just the opposite: a thriving capitalist society
> requires independent and innovative thought and action. True,
> lots of deskilling, but also increasing pressure to think of
> new, profitable ways of doing things. --Granted, that
> innovative frame of mind does not always apply when people
> are thinking about capitalism, but capitalism definitely
> incites individuality and innovation.

among the elite, there is probably some truth to this (would W be a counter-example?). but i'm not sure it applies across the board.

and don't we have to admit some conflict here within capitalism? a desire for innovation, on the one hand, and efficient execution on the other; freewheeling paradigm-busting, on the one hand, and auto-industry/microsoft/riaa-esque entrenchment and stifling of innovation and new business models, on the other?