[lbo-talk] NPR ombud: Gross unfair to O'Reilly

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Mon Oct 20 09:43:25 PDT 2003

Boy, this ombudsman is a real idiot. The Gross interview was great -- much more professional than O'Reilly's own interviews. She really exposed him for the sour self-pitying bully that he is. Anyways, I wrote the following e-mail to the ombudsman. I would encourage others to write in as well. the e-mail is: ombudsman at npr.org

Hi,

This is just a quick note to say that I think you are mistaken to rebuke Terry Gross for her Bill O'Reilly interview. O'Reilly is a controversial figure who has said many harsh things; Ms. Gross quite rightly asked him about these things. But she did so in a polite and calm manner, in the context of a very professional interview, the vast bulk of which was taken up discusing O'Reilly's book. Listening to the interview, I came away with the impression that O'Reilly is a typical bully -- he's happy enough to yell and scream at others but when he's challenged he'll start whining. So the interview in that sense was quite accurate. By the way, O'Reilly also lied constantly during the interview. If you do some digging around the web, you can find the actual facts behind the Peabody award brouhaha and his interview with the son of the 9/11 victim. The actual events that happened do not square at all with O'Reilly's version of events. So your rebuke of Gross was, among other things, a defense of someone who used the NPR airwaves to spread lies.

Best,

Jeet Heer