[lbo-talk] NPR ombud: Gross unfair to O'Reilly

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 10:36:17 PDT 2003

I sent this to the ombudsman:

I am writing to express my unhappiness with your decision to reprove Terri Gross for her conduct of the interview with Bill O'Reilly. I think that the rebuke was undeserved. I listened to the entire interview. I was suprised, actually, at how "fair and balanced" the discussion was until the very end. Gross, who is one of the handful of interviews who is is not ridiculous to mention in the same breath as Studs Terkel, did her usually thoughtful and respectful job. It was not she but O'Reilly who had a temper tantrum -- over a book review he claimed not have read -- and satlked out. My exposure to O'Reilly has been fairly minimal -- I also heard the entire interview in which he cut off the relative of the WTC bombing victim and this interview. I ahd no preconcveived views about him and was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I conclude from the two experiences I have ahdw ith him that he is a boastful bully and an arrogant jerk who cannot tolerate disagreement. Perhaps that is unfair, but Gross was respectful, polite, and perceptive throughout the interview. If she asked hims ome tough questions, that is because she is supposed to. She is, after all, a journalist. Reprimanding Gross for a touchy subject acting likea spoiled child when she is doing her job looks like NPR is knuckling under to pressure from powerful interests. It must have a chilling effect on serious, i.e., hardball, journalism on NPR and elsewhere, I am disappointed. I am, I should say, a loyal contributor who has paid my annual support for NPR every year for decades. Continue to make it worth my while.