Competition (Re: [lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes)

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:40:40 PDT 2003

Justin wrote:

> Competition is human nature, sure. Which means there
> is a range of environments where humans are
> competitive in various ways. Cooperation is also human
> nature, ditto. Some of those environments overlap.
> Ours is one where they do. We might try to create
> environments where there is less competition and more
> cooperation, just as the right tries to do the
> reverse. At this level of abstraction there's no more
> to be said.

That's right. But my reading of Joanna was less charitable than yours--I thought she really was saying something like, in the absence of capitalism (and, perhaps, the absence of any residual capitalistic values), there wouldn't be competition of the sometimes ugly sort portrayed in the film.

-- Luke