Competition (Re: [lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 15:08:18 PDT 2003

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> I think that Thomas is dead wrong here. The
> question he mentions is not theoretical but
> practical,
> and there is absolutely no reason to doubt that we
> can
> do better than we do without falling into Stalinism
> or
> some such horror

You misunderstood what I was saying. I did not intend that there was nothing that could be done. I only meant that BOTH competition and cooperation are inherent in human nature and we need to take those into consideration, rather than just acting as if competition, etc were a product of class society.

As for my comment about stalinism, my point was the following. If you are naive enough and dont think that competition, hierarchy, war, etc are inherent in humans and you just believe in good will, and the good will of your leaders, you are more prone to allow an efficient "democratic" centralism to be established by people who promise to work on the behalf of the working class, oppressed etc....only to be disillusioned later

So yes, I believe that a better society can be built, but we cannot proceed naively in building that society.

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"