[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 22 17:58:16 PDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Brian Siano wrote:

> And please note, dear Miles: I asked someone else to provide me with such
> a description. You may take that as a failure of my imagination... but if
> _you_ can't imagine one, then that's _two_ failures on your side of the
> scoreboard.

I guess we're talking past each other. To put it bluntly, you appear to be ignorant about the massive variation in human experience that exists in different societies. I don't have to imagine anything; I just need to look at the historical and anthropological record. As Justin notes, humans are capable of competitive behavior; they are also capable of cooperative behavior. Whether people in a society value cooperation or competition is a social fact, not a biological mandate.

I don't understand why this simple and obvious point eludes you.

Miles