[lbo-talk] Film Notes

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Oct 23 10:19:06 PDT 2003

Charles wrote:

> CB: I'll have a go , in the spirit of cooperating with you, not competing
> with Miles :>)

I agree with much of your prior post: humans are an extraordinarily cooperative species (though not to the degree ants are). That's why we have ethics (or, at least, why we can have ethical beliefs and act on them): a system of rules for fair cooperation allowed many of our close ancestors to prosper.

> How about an environment where there is no scarcity , i.e. nothing to
> compete over ?

Material goods aren't the only scarce resources in life. How about appealing mates, or esteem?

> Sort of like who gets the most runs in a baseball game is not a really
important, just
> kind of entertaining.

Tell that to the players during or immediately after the heat of "battle."

-- Luke