Conflict is Good (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Film Notes)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 10:30:04 PDT 2003

Charlesa, there are positional goods, which are inherently scarce -- being the Best Whatever. Chess Player. Physicist. Body Builder. Singer. Etc.

In addition, there are positions. Works council member. General secretary, whatever. And not just in official life. There is the being the lucky lady on whom monogamous George bestows his affections (I'm listening to Frankie sing "The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else). Then there is access. I may want to study in a master class with Pavarotti, but his time is limited, and it would be pretty much a waste of it to try to teach me to sing.

I think the desire to stamp out competitionis mysterious. Competitoion is neither good not bad. Some kinds of competition can lead to bad things. Other can lead to good things. Diito with cooperation. You cannot subdue a country and eradicate the natives without cooperation.

I think a lot of this discussion is really a way of talkinga bout whether can eliminate all conflict. That strikes me as insane. Also bad: conflict is not an evil. It is inevitable in a free society. Hegel has a really scary analysis of what happends when you try to impose "the General Will" on society an eliminate all conflict in his Absolute Freedom and Terror section of the Phem. Spirit. Conflict is also good because it sharpens mind and body -- taht's the sports point -- and keeps life interesting. Conflict is great. Conflict is positive. Oppression, exploitation, degradation, humiliation are bad, but conflict is good.

I think the question, Are People Competitive By Nature is so poorly framed on so many levels taht we should drop it. Competitive HOW? What is the bad competition that bothers people? And why is it bad? Then we can discuss whether we can get rid of it.

jks