[lbo-talk] Re: Conflict is Good

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 23 13:18:34 PDT 2003

Dear List:

Charles Brown wrote:

> How about an environment where there is no scarcity , i.e. nothing to compete over?

Or to look through the other end of the telescope: a society that no longer enshrines individual desire as a good.

Individuals will compete so long as they continue to believe in a model of human nature that accepts the proposition of the discrete individual (necessary for housing the soul). Such an individual is defined as a matrix of desires; the goal of this individual is the satisfaction of those desires: a bigger tv set, an extra week of vacation, living in a more spacious house, etc. We are successful when our desires are met and failures when they are not. Success is enhanced when the desire successfully filled is for an obscure/scarce/luxury item/object. The result of this bizarre misapprehension of reality is that we manufacture scarcity, conflict and competition.

To paraphrase Descartes, we live in a society where the motto is "I want, therefore I am."

My own corollary: "The more I want, the more I am."

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister