[lbo-talk] Re: Conflict is Good

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 24 11:20:12 PDT 2003

CB wrote:

> "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" remains a valid imperative. So, I can see modulating
individual desire to the historically concrete, economic potential and coexisting desires of others, but not rendering individual desire as no good at all.

I guess I would say "Eat, drink, and be mindful for tomorrow we are reborn."

I do not think that desire is not any good. Desire is neutral: having desires is part of being a human being. To me a person has to be careful how she goes about fulfilling her desires. For me part of this vigilance entails maintaining equanimity while trying to fulfill one's desires.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister