[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 24 12:16:13 PDT 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> I never think of spectator sports as sports; I think of sports as
> something you do because you enjoy it. On the other hand, I can think
> of lots of perfectly good reasons why someone would want to go watch a
> baseball game. IT's relaxing, it's social, it's a little soap opera
> all by itself.
> I think Chomsky and other leftists have a good point about how sports
> are used to hypnotize the masses; but there's a good deal more to
> sports than that, and it's silly not to recognize it.

Definitely agree, tho I've never been a sports head myself. Just never got into it. I do have some good memories-- watching Allen Iverson practice at the Palestra last week, watching a foul ball hit out of the ballpark at Connie Mack...

As for elitist notions of sport being bread and circuses, a hypnotic, a distraction... well, it couldn't be a very good distraction unless people liked it in the first place.