[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky/Sports

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 24 13:19:02 PDT 2003

BklynMagus wrote:

> Why is it of no importance? Simply beacuse Chomsky says it is? He
> offers no proof, just his own word as god's word. Loving sports does
> not prevent me from having ideas about how to change my life and my
> world. In fact, I sometimes read and write e-mail to the list while a
> sports program is on television. Chomsky makes sports fans out to be
> troglodytes.

I don't see it that way at all. I recall an interview where Chomsky cited people talking sports on talk radio as a terrific example of their tremendous abilities to analyze and argue, and he wished they'd use those abilities for politics.

Also, he wasn't offering his comments as a rigorous proof-- he was asked his opinion, and he gave it.