[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky/Sports

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Oct 26 08:36:02 PST 2003

I don't know that this applies specifically to Chomsky, but I think that a lot of this leftie anti-sports attitude comes from the following:

1) A lot of us were high-school intellectuals -- we flunked gym, were excluded from the most popular cliques, which revolved around sports heroes and their girl friends, and resented all the adulation of what we regarded as meat-heads.

2) We were half-subconsciously afraid that those muscled guys could beat us to a pulp if we provoked them, so we had to stifle our anger at them.

3) Now that we are grown-ups, we resent the ability of sports to command huge audiences on TV, when our heros (such as Noam) almost never appear at all.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ "The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do." -- Samuel P. Huntington