[lbo-talk] Dean: transformative

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 24 15:49:39 PDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:13:24 -0700, R <rhisiart at charter.net> wrote:

> anyone know if Dean is a member of the Dean family of Dean-Witter?

Just like I had to do this morning for Carrol on the sixties-l re: Woody Guthrie lyric. This is one thing I can never figure out why people can't understand that search engines can find any two or more words in any type of proximity on a webpg. http://www.google.com/search?q=howard+dean+dean+witter http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1000775/posts

Dean and Dean Witter: Related? FORTUNE Monday, October 13, 2003 By Melanie Shanley

Ever since Howard Dean began running for President, his lineage has created some mystery. In August bloggers at sites like rightnation.us and freerepublic.com misinterpreted a Jimmy Breslin column in Newsday saying that Dean's "father was the head of Dean Witter stocks." They figured Dean was a Dean Witter scion. Nope. Dean Witter was one guy; he founded his firm in 1924 with his brother Guy Witter.

So who were Dean's ancestors? The family, which settled in Sag Harbor in the 1600s, had become wealthy by the early 1900s: Press clips say Dean's great-grandfather had a box at the Metropolitan Opera and toured New England by auto. His grandfather Herbert followed the family path from Yale to Park Avenue to Wall Street (he was a governor of the NYSE and a member of exclusive clubs like East Hampton's Maidstone), then went on to be a vp at Pan Am. Dean's father, also a Yalie and Park Avenue denizen, ran dozens of branch offices for Reynolds Securities before it was bought by Dean Witter in 1978, then stayed with the firm till 1986. Young Howard was also a stockbroker before becoming a doctor. Lest confusion remain, we confirmed that he is no relation to James Dean, either.

-From the Oct. 27, 2003 Issue