[lbo-talk] politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 25 13:22:11 PDT 2003

The talk about whether politics is more boring than sports came up here at the same time this exchange appeared on the Cult Stud list.

Doug

----

Foucault and his Interlocutors

Edited by Arnold I. Davidson.

It's from the chapter with Chomsky, "Human Nature: Justice versus Power.

Elizabeth Perea Institute of Communications Research University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

-----Original Message----- From: Mimi Nguyen Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 1:22 PM To: CULTSTUD-L: A listserv devoted to Cultural Studies Subject: [cultstud-l] Foucault cite?

I see this quote everywhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where it comes from. Can anyone help?

"Your question is: why am I so interested in politics? But if I were to answer you very simply, I would say this: Why shouldn't I be interested? That is to say, what blindness, what deafness, what density of ideology would have to weigh me down to prevent me from being interested in what is probably the most crucial subject to our existence.... The essence of our life consists, after all, in the political functioning of the society in which we find ourselves."

Thanks, Mimi