[lbo-talk] politics

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sat Oct 25 15:52:52 PDT 2003

Doug quoted Foucault:

> "Your question is: why am I so interested in politics? But if I were to
> answer you very simply, I would say this: Why shouldn't I be
> interested?
> That is to say, what blindness, what deafness, what density of ideology
> would have to weigh me down to prevent me from being interested in
> what is
> probably the most crucial subject to our existence.... The essence of
> our
> life consists, after all, in the political functioning of the society
> in
> which we find ourselves."

If a will to power is acted out in all that happens, what is there outside "politics"?

Whether and to what extent psychopathology is involved in some interest (or lack of interest) requires more concrete specification of the interest than is provided by the terms "sports," "sex," "politics," etc. in isolation.

I once heard a description of what was claimed to be typical of (the pretty much exclusively male) crowd behaviour at soccer matches in Argentina, for instance, which attributed to it ritualized violently homophobic chanting (including chants explicitly expressing the ambivalence behind the homophobia e.g. chants threatening fans of the opposing team with anal rape). I don't know whether or not this was an accurate description, but the fact that an interest in sports is found combined with an interest in politics is compatible with both interests expressing extreme psychopathology.

Ted