[lbo-talk] D.C. Rally: Poor Turnout?

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Oct 25 22:03:20 PDT 2003

The local news coverage, which usually sucks rhino turd, was very positive. The spin was that this was a 'mainstream' thing that military families were getting into. Soldiers' moms saying their boy didn't sign up to fight for Halliburton or oil companies.

The problem at this point IMO is how to turn huge nascent disapproval of the Iraq enterprise into blazing hatred for anyone who supports it now. Beyond demos is the way to think.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of Chuck0 Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 5:40 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] D.C. Rally: Poor Turnout?

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> My guess on the #'ers here in S.F. are about 20,000, a third to a half
> the size of the last big march. Largest contingent ISO, a good 500 at
> least.
> Washington, D.C. http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nyc-
> prot1025,0,1236639.story?coll=nyc-topnews-short-navigation
>
>> ...The Associated Press
>

> October 25, 2003, 4:45 PM EDT >...Organizers estimated that 100,000
> people turned out for the demonstration, but police at the scene put the
> number much lower, from 10,000 to 20,000. Police no longer issue
> official crowd estimates, so the size of the protest could not be
verified.
> http://www.kpfa.org/
> http://www.wbai.org/

I'd be surprised if any of these protests will break 10,000. And we can expect ANSWER to inflate the actual attendance figures to save face.

I say that it is time to vote ANSWER out of the movement. Or throw their plate into the fire. Pick your reality show voting system and insert here.

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ MutualAid ISP -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)