[lbo-talk] RE: Diebold/Democracy

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Oct 26 08:37:37 PST 2003

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 12:30 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> That wishful think is not worth the paper on which it is written.
> There
> is enough evidence that if left to their won devices, "da people" would
> elect someone like Schwartz or Elvis by a landslide over someone like
> Kucinich or Dean. This is a fact - clearly demonstrated in CA - that
> needs to be dealt with, not spinned around.

So we *don't* leave people "to their own devices." We educate them. We get appealing candidates and run effective campaigns for them. As a result, people come to realize that they should vote for our candidates rather than for Schwartz and Elvis. (Actually, who knows whether or not Elvis would have been a good candidate? Don't sell him short!)

At any rate, putting up good candidates and running good campaigns for them is what has to be done. Your argument seems to be that it's very difficult to do that, under present circumstances. Mine is that, however difficult, it has to be done. What I am looking for is not more explanations of why it is difficult, but practical ideas for doing it.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax