[lbo-talk] They Have Come for Khordorkovsky

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 09:32:15 PST 2003

Russia's richest man is behind bars. Those who have been following my coverage and analysis of the Yukos saga are invited to read my comments.

On the Khordorkovsky detention and arrest over the weekend: My gut feeling back in July after the arrest of Platon Lebedev was that a Kremlin stratagem I called a “total solution” started to come into play. I continue to believe that is the case. Maybe a better term would have been “silver bullet.”

The more I think about the focus on Khordorkovsky, the more it makes perfect sense. The security forces are going after the hardest (and richest) to topple. Yukos is the most transparent of its domestic corporate peers, going after other companies will now be easier moving forward. The “social contract” with the oligarchs will be re-negotiated by the Kremlin with it holding the high ground (actually holding hostages).

for the rest: www.untimely-thoughts.com