[lbo-talk] Re: Film notes

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Oct 27 14:04:05 PST 2003

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 04:55 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> joanna bujes wrote:
>
>> I have personally never witnessed nor been part of "fun" politics. I
>> have met a few people who do a lot of political work. They don't look
>> like their having fun; they look like they're doing the most
>> thankless and arduous job ever devised.
>
> Another chestnut from Foucault comes to mind: "Do not think that one
> has to be sad in order to be militant, even though the thing one is
> fighting is abominable."

quite. this brings us back to the diffficulty of getting people to, uh, sign up for all that thankless, arduous work, that is so often pursued so joylessly . . . not even just angrily, but without any sense of joy.

sorry. i know i'm generalizing, but i'm only riffing on joanna's generalization. ;-)

certainly most of *my* organizing was never like that, but i seem to hear about it all the time and i do run into people that i wouldn't want to organize with for that reason . . .