[lbo-talk] RE: Chomsky/sports

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 29 08:26:21 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Jon Johanning wrote:

> Of course, this is not a "theory" at all -- it's a way of poking fun at
> people who think it's necessary to have a theory for the phenomenon of
> people watching sports. I suppose I should have explained the joke, to
> avoid all misunderstandings.

It's strange to me that most people take it for granted that careful, scientific investigation of the natural world is useful. Why is the same type of investigation directed at human experience frivolous or unimportant? In my view, it's just as crucial to understand human behavior in various social settings as it is to understand the movements of electrons in electrical circuits or the reactions of molecules when combined.

Miles