[lbo-talk] Libertarians Invade New Hampshire

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Oct 29 21:30:37 PST 2003

Kenneth Campbell fwd'd:

> Libertarians Pursue New Goal: State of Their Own
>
> By PAM BELLUCK
> New York Times
> October 27, 2003
>
> KEENE, N.H. — A few things stand out about this
> unprepossessing city. It just broke its own Guinness Book
> world record for the most lighted jack-o'-lanterns with 28,952.
> It claims to have the world's widest Main Street.
>
> And recently, Keene became the home of Justin Somma,
> a 26-year-old freelance copywriter from Suffern, N.Y., and
> a foot soldier in an upstart political movement. That
> movement, the Free State Project, aims to make all of New
> Hampshire a laboratory for libertarian politics by recruiting
> libertarian-leaning people from across the country to move
> to New Hampshire and throw their collective weight around.
> Leaders of the project figure 20,000 people would do the
> trick, and so far 4,960 have pledged to make the move.

Now *that's* a reality TV concept!! This must be filmed. :-D

And considering how they consider themselves the champions of reason, this is especially funny:

> "I don't like to go places that don't let me have my gun,"
> said Ms. Casey, 33, who sells memberships to a Las
> Vegas survivalist training institute and models for comic
> books (her likeness has graced the cover of one called
> Reload). Her New Hampshire plans include starting eight
> businesses "because nine out of every 10 fail, and I've
> already started two, so I need to do eight more."

Um, it's called the "gambler's fallacy".

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!