[lbo-talk] U.S. Economy Grew 7.2% in 3Q, Fastest Pace in 20 Years

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 30 15:30:57 PST 2003

Max B. Sawicky wrote (responding to Chuck0):

>Oh really?
>
>http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/webfeatures_econindicators_gdppict
>

>It is a sustainable trend, one which should prompt those of who have
>been anticipating a long period of economic stagnation to reconsider our
>analysis.

7.2% is not sustainable. The U.S. is not China today, or S Korea 10 years ago, or Japan 20 years ago. The question is whether we can sustain the 4-5% necessary to bring back job growth. That's not so clear. One problem: there never was a real recession on the consumer side. Consumption is now well above its trend rate of growth, and the consumption share of GDP set a record in the last quarter. I'm skeptical that you can have a real boom without some kind of ground-clearing downturn. We'll see.

Doug