[lbo-talk] Re: HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 09:01:23 PST 2003

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Well, Zizek is among the single-taxers and followers
> of Madame
> Blatavsky. Mao said it perfectly, "If you don't hit
> it, it won't fall."

Well, I would say that Blavatsky and Mao deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. "Political line determines everything", after all, is a sort of incantation.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that Zizek believes that there can be radical change without a revolutionary subject. My doubt is substantiated by the fact that he recently published his own version of "The Greatest Hits of Lenin". I dont like Lenin, but one thing that we can all agree on, and one of the reasons Zizek published a selected works of Lenin, was that he understood the need for a revolutionary subject.

What I believe Zizek meant was that the process of subsumption would be entirely complete within the next 15 years. One can imagine that the globalization movement represents the initial salvos of a transnational movement against capitalism. This will lead to a situation where there is no "outside" for capitalism...nowhere that capital can be exported without fierce opposition. Of course, before that can happen, we will have to traverse a sea of chauvinism...it will be real ugly.

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"