[lbo-talk] HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 31 12:37:03 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>The US is the single institutional force responsible for vast majority
>of all imperialist activities in today's world. No one else comes even
>near. Why then opposing this institution of imperialist expansion is
>anti-imperialism of fools?

This is all true, except: 1) the "nicer" rich countries, like the EU and Canada, profit from U.S. belligerence, yet get to ride the high moral horse anyway, and 2) the WSWS piece <http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/sep2001/rads-s22.shtml> also focused on the better aspects of domestic U.S. culture, which univocal anti-Americanism overlooks. We had a long discussion of this at the time, and I don't think it bears repeating.

Doug