[lbo-talk] HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:21:00 PST 2003

Doug:

> This is all true, except: 1) the "nicer" rich countries, like the EU
> and Canada, profit from U.S. belligerence, yet get to ride the high
> moral horse anyway, and 2) the WSWS piece
> <http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/sep2001/rads-s22.shtml> also
> focused on the better aspects of domestic U.S. culture, which
> univocal anti-Americanism overlooks. We had a long discussion of this
> at the time, and I don't think it bears repeating.

The Germans had Johann Sebastian Bach, Johann Wolfgang Goethe and, for that matter, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. Does that mean that fighting them in 1939 was anti-fascism of fools?

I agree that there were great moments in the US history and culture and that knee-jerk anti-Americanism and a blanket rejection of anything US is silly and counter productive. But we should not fool ourselves into thinking that systemic forces have no names and addresses - they do, and that address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Nor we should fool ourselves in think that the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is an impostor who governs against a popular will and mandate.

Focusing on abstract "systemic forces" or personalities of the chief executive officer shoots either above or below the target. It would be foolish to fight fascism without attacking the German or the Japanese states and dismantling their key institutions that gave fascism its material resources. It is equally foolish to believe that the struggle against imperialism capitalism will have any remote prospect of a success without dismantling the institutions, built into the US state , that give imperialism and capitalism their material resources.

As far as the EU and Canada profiting from US belligerence - what does it have to do with anything? It would matter only if they were a driving force behind the US belligerence. But they are not - they are merely scavengers that descend on the carrion after someone else did the kill.

Wojtek