[lbo-talk] Re: Help Defeat Question 3

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 31 16:10:13 PST 2003

Dear List:

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> For example, if the Democratic party has been subverted, as many claim, by the corporate interests, it will no
longer serve as a platform promoting progressive candidates - so its transaction cost reduction function for the progressives is no longer there. What is more, it may use the party resources to eliminate such candidates from running, as some sat the DLC does, and that adds a new transaction costs for progressive candidates, who are forced to battle not just the Repugs, but the Democratic party establishment.

Having lived in New York City and been involved in its politics (especially in Brooklyn), I can tell you that Wojtek is right. The small Democratic clubs were for years homophobic and transphobic (many still are) and were/are a strong retarding force against queer equality. It is as if you have to fight both the Republicans and the Democrats to get ahead on queer issues. In a recent campaign in the Bronx, the only candidate who came out for queer unions was the Republican!!

The Democratic Party strangles too many progressive voices in an effort to appeal to moderates. Non-partisan elections at least give the hope that some new voices will be heard.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister