[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Foucault

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Sep 1 09:50:31 PDT 2003

Dennis Perrin fwd'd Chomsky on Foucalut:
> Chomsky: Foucault is an interesting case because
> I'm sure he honestly wants to undermine power but
> I think with his writings he reinforced it. The only
> way to understand Foucault is if you are a graduate
> student or you are attending a university and have
> been trained in this particular style of discourse.
> That's a way of guaranteeing, it might not be his
> purpose, but that's a way of guaranteeing that
> intellectuals will have power, prestige and influence.
> If something can be said simply say it simply, so that
> the carpenter next door can understand you. Anything
> that is at all well understood about human affairs is
> pretty simple. I find Foucault really interesting but I
> remain skeptical of his mode of expression. I find that
> I have to decode him, and after I have decoded him
> maybe I'm missing something. I don't get the
> significance of what I am left with. I have never
> effectively understood what he was talking about.
> I mean, when I try to take the big words he uses and
> put them into words that I can understand and use,
> it is difficult for me to accomplish this task It all
> strikes me as overly convoluted and very abstract.
> But -what happens when you try to skip down to real
> cases? The trouble with Foucault and with this
> certain kind of theory arises when it tries to come
> down to earth. Really, nobody was able to explain to
> me the importance of his work..."

Big words and abstractions, as opposed to:

[Michael Albert in a ZNet update on 8/29:]

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!