[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Foucault

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 10:42:51 PDT 2003

Foucault wrote a lot about a lot of things. Some of his work was to make very vidid by a series of case studies precisely how total sets of theoretical presuppositions have varied over time. He does this by looking at, e.g., the history of madness or prisons or sex, and exploring the ineer logic of pre and post modern frames of thought in great and precise detail.

In my view, F's graetest work is Discipline and Punish, nominally about the history of punishment, but more generally about the mechaniism of bureaucratic control in the modern world. He starts out with an unforgetable discription of the horrible death of regicide, by way of making the point that back in the premodern world most people lived off the radar of the state altogether, no files, no dossiers, no lists,a nd that when you got on that radar, it was often to makea

spectacualr example of you. He then talks about the birth of the prison not as an example of progress and humanitarian reform, but as an instance of the needs of bureaucrtic systems of managege laefe populations. He chapter on The Examination is essential reading for anyone who has ever taken a test. I think that D&P is one of the immortal works of political philosophy, up there with Capital and Mill's On Liberty and Hobbes' Leviathan and Rousseau's Social Contract and Rawls' Theory of Justice.

F's writing is not opaque. It is plain and workmanlike. If there are differences in idiom, bear in mind that he is French. If it is a bit difficult, that is because it is very deep and he struggling to say new and important things. You have to do some work too. He is not as easy to understand as Chomsky, who is not trying to say anything new or deep in politics, but only to remind you of what you already knew.

jks