[lbo-talk] 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 2 23:08:56 PDT 2003

It's surprisingly difficult to get good statistics about Americans' theological views, in part because, as the Census Bureau explains at its site,

"The Bureau of the Census collected information in the Census of Religious Bodies from 1906-1936. This information was obtained from religious organizations. Public Law 94-521 prohibits us from asking a question on religious affiliation on a mandatory basis; therefore, the Bureau of the Census is not the source for information on religion."

The Statistical Abstract of the United States has some information, but not much beyond denominational membership. The standard reference work is David Barrett's massive two-volume World Christian Encyclopedia (Oxford UP, 2001); an excellent web-site, www.adherents.com, draws together information from a variety of studies.

In summary, well over three-quarters of the US population (upwards of 200,000,000 people) consider themselves Christian; and although evangelical and fundamentalist Christians are becoming more numerous, no one seems to suggest that their numbers are greater that 50,000,000.

American Protestantism, Evangelicalism, Fundamentalism, Apocalyptic Christianity, and Christian Zionism (Tom Delay's view) are not identical; in fact, each is a sub-group of the one before (with some ambiguity at the edges).

EVANGELICALISM arose in 18th century Protestantism in opposition to Liberal Christianity (which was "liberal" in the 18th century sense). "Evangelicals are not a separate denomination of Christians but those, especially within the `low church' denominations, who emphasize the *personal experience* of being saved. They make up 57 percent of Baptists, 32 percent of Methodists, 29 percent of Lutherans, 27 percent of Presbyterians, but only 14 percent of Episcopalians" in the U.S. a decade or so ago [Garry Wills 1990, Under God: Religion and American Politics, 388n.18, emphasis added]. Evangelicals in America are political progressives (e.g., regarding Abolition) until after the first World War, only becoming what Americans call politically conservative in the course of the 20th century.

FUNDAMENTALISM began as a movement within several Protestant denominations at the beginning of the 20th century in reaction to evolutionary theories and 19th century biblical criticism. It developed especially in the U.S. after World War I. It takes its name from a series of tracts called The Fundamentals, which appeared ca. 1909. Perhaps 20% of the U.S. population today consider themselves Fundamentalists. The "Five Points of Fundamentalism" are

--the verbal inerrancy of the Bible;

--the divinity of Jesus Christ;

--the Virgin Birth;

--the substitutionary theory of the Atonement;

--the physical resurrection and bodily return of Christ.

Fundamentalism is a response to disputes internal to Protestantism: several important Christian affirmations -- e.g., creation -- are not mentioned, although they are of course held by Fundamentalists. (Surprising, given that a narrow and particular form of the Christian doctrine of creation -- "creationism" -- would become for many a hallmark of Fundamentalism.) "Fundamentalists, though generally evangelical, place greater emphasis on preserving orthodox doctrine (the Fundamentals) than do Evangelicals more centrally interested in the religious *experience* -- of rebirth (revivalists), marked holiness (perfectionists), or gifts of the Spirit (Pentecostalists)" [loc. cit. n.27]

So Evangelicalism remains a (growing) minority within American Christianity -- perhaps upwards of 20% of the population (about 25% of all US Christians) can be considered Evangelical. Christian Zionism is a subgroup of that, and if we consider Christian Zionism equivalent to Apocalyptic Fundamentalism, it now may include a majority of the Evangelical minority -- maybe 15% of the US population. --CGE