[lbo-talk] 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at bigzoo.net
Wed Sep 3 06:52:51 PDT 2003

Hey, Chuck, in you I meet another "raised as fundie Lutheran", like my main sqeeze of many years was. People tend to overlook the Lutherans, because they like to be quiet as compared to the evangelicals, but it's a stern faith. "Lutheran guilt" is as fierce as "Catholic guilt" or "Jewish guilt" when it exists. And no drinkin', no dancin', no playin' cards...they play rough. When we attended a wedding of a high school friend in the tiny southern Illinois town where he grew up, altho no longer practicing for years, he was still scandalized because the reception was held in a local school's gym (private Lutheran) and they actually allowed (gasp!) a KEG there...

> It's more simple than that. Religious fundamentalists look forward to
> the end of the world because they see it as a good thing for themselves.
> Some nuts like Pat Robertson seek to hurry the apocalypse along, by
> interfering in affairs in the Middle East (this goes against Lutheran
> beliefs, which say that you shouldn't mess with goid's plans).

Absolutely. That's what I meant about the End Times. It will usher in Christ's return to rule for a thousand years, according to much of the fundie Xtian faithful. People like LeHaye have based a string of very popular novels on the premise that the Rapture has occured and all those saved by Jesus have been scooped up into heaven and the unsaved have to struggle against the Antichrist as best they can. (To me this proves the non-saved are inherently a lot more interesting, at least as fictional characters. :) Not all of the faithful believe in the Rapture, I should stress. But the Apocalypse is there. There's some rich rancher believer here who is actually attempting to breed the perfect sacificial bull for the Temple of Soloman. He's working with fundie Jews in Israel, based on the description of the animal in Scripture. The resurrection of the Temple is interpreted as necessary according to prophecy.

Maria