[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America (Was : 77% of America ns support the cretinous judge)

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Sep 3 09:53:45 PDT 2003

At 12:20 PM -0400 3/9/03, Curtiss_Leung at ibi.com wrote:

>And just how does the "just the facts, ma'am" brigade explain
>religious belief and the influence of religion in politics in
>this country without just calling people stupid?

I believe I have given the answer to the first question once before, religion is simply a strategy for passing social traditions, including experience and knowledge, down through the generations.

Without social customs and beliefs, then there is no society in any meaningful sense, just a collection of individuals. There can be no social customs without a way of passing them from generation to generation, and in pre-modern times there was no other way of passing on such a large body of knowledge, except as religious dogma.

The second question is more difficult to answer, at least for me (ask an anthropologist who has studied the US culture) but a couple of responses in this thread are interesting.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas