[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America (Was : 77% of America ns support the cretinous judge)

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Wed Sep 3 10:05:33 PDT 2003

Doug wrote:

> Yes, but much of American Protestantism is deeply individualistic -
> it's all about one's direct relation to God, with little
> institutional mediation. At least the Catholic Church runs good
> hospitals and nursing homes - I'm trying to think of a socially
> useful contribution of the Baptists. Maybe someone can help me out.

Well, wasn't Martin Luther King, Jr. a product of American protestantism? And what about the evangelical who opposed slavery and supported woman's suffrage. I think the hyper-individualism is actually a relatively new development and traditionally Protestants have also had a social gospel element. What is interesting is that in the last 3 decades, the exclusive focus on sexual questons (opposing aboriton and gay rights) has caused evangelical Protestants to abandon their earlier committment to creating a more just society.