[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America (Was : 77% of America ns support the cretinous judge)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 3 11:04:36 PDT 2003

Jeet Heer wrote:

>Well, wasn't Martin Luther King, Jr. a product of American protestantism?

Yes, but.... I wish I had at my fingertips one of Adolph Reed's critiques of the malignant role of the church in black politics. Sure there was King, but there were also many decades during which what should have been secular political discontent was diverted into hymns and worship. Maybe the old imperialists knew what they were doing when they sent in missionaries to convert the colonized.

Doug