[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 10:24:56 PDT 2003

The Declaration (which contains the language about the Creator) has no legal force. The Constitution does not refer to a divine being. The views of the framers -- Jefferson was not one -- are only one possible source of constitutional interpretation. Far more important are (a) the text of the document, (b) the text of the court cases, especially the Supreme Court cases, interpreting the document, and (c) policy arguments based on the likely good and bad results of proposed interpretations. I would say that in a contest where the text, the case law, and the policy argument pointed one way, and the intent of the framers, insofar as determinable, pointed the other, the issue would come out against the intent.

With respect to secularisma nd the framer's views, you are dead wrong. Many of the framers were Deists. That did not mean that they thought we should all be Deists. Theyw ere, before they were Deists, Enlightenment liberals. They thought that we should not have an established religion. including Deism. How do I know this? Because they wrote it into the fundamental law in the First amendment, which prohibitsa the establishment of religion. Whatever their religious beliefs or lack of them (some, like Franklin, were probably atheists), all of them were vividly aware of wars of religion and religious persecution. Their solution, unpopular then as now, is to have a state that was neutral among all religions and all irreligions. I think that is a good idea.

jks