[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America (Was : 77% of Amer ica ns support the cretinous judge)

Curtiss_Leung at ibi.com Curtiss_Leung at ibi.com
Wed Sep 3 10:34:05 PDT 2003

Moi:

>> And just how does the "just the facts, ma'am" brigade explain
>> religious belief and the influence of religion in politics in
>> this country without just calling people stupid?

Bill Bartlett:

> I believe I have given the answer to the first question once before,
religion
> is simply a strategy for passing social traditions, including experience
and
> knowledge, down through the generations.

Doesn't cut it with me. Per C.G. Estabrook's earlier post, American Fundamentalism is a relatively recent phenomenon, vintage 1909. I don't know if their political ambitions date from that time, but I'd be surprised if they did.

I've got Fundies in my family on my mother's side. A specific religious *dogma* has been transmitted from my grandparents to my aunts and uncles (my mother was the lone apostate in the family) to my cousins, but no traditions. I don't think my grandparents could even say the word "divorce"; I think that most of my cousins have had at least one by now.

Curtiss