[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 17:01:41 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> The first step is probably to decide where, given our political weight,
> and given a rough and ready hierarchy of crucial concerns, we should try
> to do anything. (Probably "we" needs a little filling in too.) I don't
> think church & state is among the most pressing issues facing the human
> species _or_ the american public.
>
> Also, religion _is_ an ideology: and ideologies are only broken _within
> the framework_ of a struggle against the conditions which generate the
> ideology, NOT by a direct struggle against the ideology itself. The old
> image of pushing on a string comes to mind.
>
> Carrol

Given the human fear of death and our capacity to wonder at the fact that something rather than nothing exists how do you suppose to eliminate those two conditions and why should we even bother to struggle to get rid of the latter since it has given us great art and science?

I'm all for attenuating/eliminating the fear of death, btw. Sad men may have made angels of the sun but 'twas wonder that has given us relativity, set theory, molecular biology, the cosmic eroticism of Indian architecture....I could go on.....

Ian