[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 4 06:16:01 PDT 2003

Curtiss:
> BUT we're not all members of the professional law community, and
> the notion that law or policy contrary to anything other than the
> original intent of the Contitution--mindless veneration--is evil
> and un-American has currency, and it's linked to the notion that
> the USA at its founding was, in some sense, an Xtian country. And
> so we have Judge Moore and the Alabama situation.
>
> Different day, same question: What is to be done?

The concept of inoculation comes to mind. The essence of inoculation is to introduce non-toxic variants of a virus to the body to stimulate the immune system's resistance to the toxic varieties.

The same holds for religion. My experience with a Catholic school that operated in a fairly open-minded, liberation theology environment and often resisted church hierarchy's attempts (including those of the current pope and then-cardinal Wojtyla) to "tighten the screw" and adopt a more conservative policy had a strong inoculating effect against religion on a lot of people I met there (not to mention myself, of course).

Following that logic, public support of Catholic schools and similar liberal religious institutions may have inoculating effect against more poisonous varieties.

Wojtek