[lbo-talk] RE: 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:25:50 PDT 2003

Your paranoia is showing. "...this is a Christian nation"? I said nothing of the sort. It had been argued that "The judge and his supporters are quite explicit that the point of the monument was to underscore what they perceive as a fact -- that US law is founded upon the will of God; that sure sounds like theocratic thinking." I meant to point out that other Americans of some prominence (Jefferson surely being a founder if not a framer) who would never be accused of being theocrats, also thought that American law was founded on the will of God. And that's true even if one tries to construe the founders' deism as pantheism, which seems to me difficult; the Declaration's concluding expression (probably not by Jefferson) -- an appeal "to the supreme judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions" -- is rather far from pantheism... --CGE