[lbo-talk] Moore's Less?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 09:12:04 PDT 2003

--- Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Lance >
> Obviously, the stuff my housemate had read was
> directed more at
> discrediting Moore than anything else: editorial
> choices that were
> standard for documentaries were bloviated into the
> equivalent of Soviet
> photos erasing unpersons, and nits that were picked
> were placed at the
> same moral level as the "Protocols of the Learned
> Elders of Zion."

As we all know, this is standard for dealing with left scholarship and propaganda -- errors and choices that would not even rause more than an eyebrow if neutral, favorable to the right, or harmful to the left, are made the subject of career-destroying campaigns. Most recentlt there was Michael Bellesiles, who wrote the book on guns, Armind America, that teed off the NRA. He fudged the sources in one chart, not even an important one in his argument, and they pulled his Bancroft and forced his resignation from a tenured professorship, basically ruining him. A similar attack destroyed the career in history of DAvid Abraham, a leftist former Princeton prof who had the bad judgment to write a book suggesting that Big Business supported Hitler, and accordingly was the subject of an attack that not only led to his being denied tenure at Princeton, but being unemployable elsewhere in history -- he went to law school and now teaches law at U of Miami. The errors complained of in Abraham's book were minor. The attacks on Chomsky over Faurrison and the KR are similar in spirit.

jks