[lbo-talk] Reverence for nature

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at bigzoo.net
Fri Sep 5 11:10:49 PDT 2003

Precisely as Joanna says. And with the Old Testament is exactly the place from whence this discussion sprang. Perception of "nature" as being a realm from which humans could distinguish themselves from, and dominate for that matter, obviously existed for the people who wrote the Book of Genesis. When I think "modernity" the Old Testament is not something that leaps to my mind.

Maria

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 1:57 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Reverence for nature

> The issue was whether "reverence for nature" was modern. Both Maria and I
strongly objected. You are now raising the issue in another way by asking whether the concept of a separable "nature" is not modern. Where does "modern" start? I would say that the notion of a nature that is separable from man and which man "governs" is at least as "modern" or "old" as the Old Testament. Before monotheism, I don't know.

> It may be that those cultures who honor/revere nature do not refer to it
as a separable thing, but this does not diminish the terms they make with their sustaining (and inseparable) environment. In our terms they do "revere nature" -- which Chris argued was a modern fetish...