[lbo-talk] wheeeee!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 5 11:43:34 PDT 2003

Gregory Geboski wrote:

>Of course, I'm here assuming that Bush's Great Disgorgement is tied
>to this comparatively feeble "recovery." Any left business observers
>out there have another take on the matter?

You mean the tax cuts are helping power the recovery? For sure, but the response has been pretty weak compared to the size of the stimulus - which no doubt is the result of its skew toward the rich, who don't spend as much of their money as everyone else. But it's also Alan G - lower interest rates have excited the stock market, which has made people a bit more willing to spend, and even more powerfully, mortgage refinancing has been adding about $150 billion (annually) in purchasing power over the last couple of years.