[lbo-talk] 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at bigzoo.net
Fri Sep 5 12:38:45 PDT 2003

Excuse me, but Native Americans DID have a relationship with their land that was and in some small pockets continues to be very different than that of Europeans. In their religious/philosophical worldview they viewed the land they lived on as something to be respected and honored because they saw the world as a predominately willing and nurturing provider of all their needs, so long as you did not offend in some way, and showed your gratitude. NOT as a fierce enemy that needs to be conquered, fought against at every turn, then thoughtlessly stripped of resources until none are left. I don't think this is really a "Noble Savage" statement I'm making here. I didn't say they were inherently "noble" or "good" for having this worldview...Native peoples practiced war and slavery, and while some tribes had a better balance of power between men and women, and were much more egalitarian than European societies were at that time, other tribes were as patriarchal and hierarchical as any greedhead conquistidor could be. And against more and more white guys with guns, you could say their beliefs worked against them. I use their example to say that the premise "reverence for nature is fairly new for humanity" is not true. "Nature fetish" not the same thing. That is an exclusively European concept, that grew out of Judeo/Xtian societies in the modern period.

Now for my rant AGAINST "Nature fetishism":

No culture I have ever heard of has ever regarded the natural world as benign, to this day. As I contemplate making a run to the Sarasota main library to pick up a book, I wonder how much fun it will be driving thru the tropical storm that has been dumping non-stop rain here since last night and will probably continue thru tomorrow. Florida is better than having to deal with snow and cold of central Illinois, as I HATE winter, but the incredible summer heat and HUMIDITY down here has taken some getting used to. My allergies and asthma are worse here too.

I've been asthmatic since I was very small, and it was very bad when I was a kid. My experiences with this have taught me there is nothing benign about the natural world. When it's not indifferent to human survival, it's murderous. If not for the protection of modern science-based medicine, with its' miraculously effective drugs that keep my illness near-totally under control, I would have been dead YEARS ago. Nature would have had my life without a second thought. Nature fetishism in our society most notably rears its' ugly head these days in the alternative medicine movement. Many of these people seem to believe that "Mother Nature WUVS you! She would NEVER hurt you, unlike those mean old MDs!" Bull-SHIT.

And BTW, being PC is not something I concern myself with. And my comment was in referral to the cultures as they existed in N America at the time of the European arrival. I guess for some people I needed to make that clearer.

NOT talking about how Land O Lakes corn oil has "the goodness of maize", for god's sake!

Maria

---- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 12:30 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

> This Red Man Reveres Nature And Is One With The Land is very PC, but in
fact is both insultingly stereotypical and