[lbo-talk] Jobless Recovery: What's The Role Of Cheap, Skilled Labor? (was employment)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 5 12:48:08 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>I wonder if an awareness of the seriousness of the
>situation is behind the
>greater-productivity-via-tech-produces-growth-without-hiring
>spin we're now seeing in the financial press.

The productivity numbers are stunning - so stunning that they're really hard to believe. I don't think they're counting labor inputs accurately (as Roach also argues), and I think the price indexes used to adjust output are also wacky.

But profits are doing nicely.

>Has anyone done work tracking the amount of jobs that
>would have been generated in manufacturing and
>professional services if H1b and other 'guest workers'
>along with offshore outsourcing weren't the rage?

"Guest workers" would be counted as employed if they're in the U.S.

>Perhaps the ability of American capital to now
>outsource nearly the full range of plant and office
>activities to low cost, high skill markets provides a
>more servicable explanation for "jobless recovery"
>than the supposed technology/productivity explosion.

These aren't either/or propositions - it's the technology that makes it possible to outsource.

I had a chat with a productivity dude at BLS the other day, who pointed out that productivity is a value-added concept (like GDP), so if the value addition happens in China or India, then it doesn't appear in the output measure. In other words, outsourcing is mostly a wash in the productivity stats.

Doug