[lbo-talk] CA Passes Raft of Progressive Laws

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Sat Sep 13 07:33:10 PDT 2003

Nathan, how do you know how Arnold stands on these issues (as opposed to how he stands on post-earthquake construction scams)? I know he's anti-union (though likely not against the prison guards' union) but what about this one?

>Civil Unions: Legislation would give domestic partners, including lesbian
and gay couples, many of the same legal rights as married couples.<

Arnie has said that he's in favor of civil unions of gays and lesbians, though not allowing them to marry. Whatever that means, it doesn't automatically mean that he's against giving domestic partners the same legal rights as married couples.

Also, I would give the legislature more credit for the things in your list than I'd give to Davis. For example, Jackie Goldberg (and others) sponsored the domestic partners legislation and had to fight for it. It wasn't Davis.

Jim Devine

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 3890 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20030913/c6c78bce/attachment.bin>