[lbo-talk] CA Passes Raft of Progressive Laws

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 14 14:32:44 PDT 2003

nathanne at nathannewman.org wrote:

>I agree that Arnie might sign the more social issue stuff (but wanted to
>include it to remind folks of the good stuff coming out of the
>legislature) and of course the legislators get the credit. I don't like
>Davis much more than anyone else-- the point is that he can be forced to
>sign the bills because he's ultimately dependent on the labor and
>progressive folks for survival.
>
>That's all I've ever argued makes the Dems as being better for progressives.

They also improve the general atmosphere. In that interview that Chuck Grimes posted the other day, Krugman said that Rove's desire was to bring us back to the McKinley era. As awful as Clinton was, he was never remotely that bad. With Reps in power, you end up fighting battles that should have been settled 70 or 100 years ago.

Doug