[lbo-talk] Johnny Cash RIP

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sun Sep 14 19:15:56 PDT 2003

At 3:59 PM -0400 14/9/03, Jon Johanning wrote:

>>I can't recall ever hearing the song. (I'm trying to download it as I write.)
>
>An excellent illustration of how much you know about the States, Bill. It's a well-known folk song (at least it was well-known to the '60s folkie generation).

Thank you, I'm relieved to know that Americans know more about American culture than outsiders. I was exposed to quite a bit of American country music through the 70's, though. Perhaps that particular song didn't take off here, or simply didn't appeal to me?

>That's the whole point of the freakin' song, Bill. He was convicted on evidence that *should* have left a reasonable doubt in the jury's mind. This has nothing whatsoever in the whole bloomin' world to do with presumption of innocence. He was presumed innocent until proven guilty until the jury rendered its verdict (mistakenly, according to the defendant). Nothing in the song contradicts that.

I agree with Justin, that isn't the point of the song at all.

>The way you talk about the US legal system only indicates to me (a) the dangers of being self-taught in the law (as you claim to have been), (b) your ignorance of the US (which you show nearly every time you post), and (c) your irrational hatred of the US (which you are entitled to if you want it, but you ought to realize that it doesn't impress us Yanks in the slightest.)

Americans are apparently easy people to hate, in an abstract sense. I don't hate anyone though, let alone the entire American population. Just because I disagree with them on some things or even try to provoke them, doesn't mean I hate them. In fact there are many things I love about America, which is probably why I care about the faults enough to get angry.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas