[lbo-talk] Johnny Cash RIP

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 09:24:37 PDT 2003

--- There is no point in talking to Bartlett, who is welcome to stay out of my country, but for the rest of you, I'll just comment that the song is a song, not a record of a case; but, moreover, that under any legal system I am aware of, it is for thr the finder of fact, e.g., the jury to make the determination of wsether the evidence is sufficient tos how guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. This is a decision that once made can normally be only reversed by a court if totally insane, and can be made on less than conclusive evidence.

If the record in a case established that the main evidence against the defendant was a tentative identification on which a jury might go either way without being unreasonable, it does not obviate the presumption of innocence to ask the defendant whether he has any defense to offer. A judge who was solicitious about the rights of the accused might well do that, recognizing that once the jury decided against the accused, no appeals court would vacate that decision.

The jury should of course be instructed that failure to testify or indeed to offer a defense cannot create an inference of guilt, the only question for the jury to decide is whether the government has provided its case beyond a reasonable doubt. That, btw, is a term the meaning of which is up to jury; it is never defined. The courts have consistently uphelod jury verdicts that might have gone the other way, so presumably it does not mean, absolute certainty, as it does in Bartlettland.

I don't care if Bartlett thinks I am fascist advocate of a police state, but I actually think the law on this is pretty good -- in English, not lawish. And I am a criminal defense lawyer. The problem is not that we are bulging with wrongful convictions, but that we have an excessively carcerial policy of dealing with the convicted, too litle rehabilitaion, and wildly racially unfair enforcement policies. Bartlet, as usual, is looking in the wrong place, and speaking without knowledge about the wrong issues.

jks