[lbo-talk] globalization & war

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Sep 15 03:52:04 PDT 2003

>RE: [lbo-talk] globalization & war
>From: Devine, James (jdevine at lmu.edu)
>Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 18:28:42 EDT
>
>> How [capitalist] Globalization Promotes War
> > by Steven Staples, The Polaris Institute
>
>the thing in parentheses is necessary. Leaving it out is silly.

It would be interesting if Jim or Doug or both joined United for Peace and Justice's "Global Justice" working group, which produced the Steven Staples piece. You can join the UFPJ "Global Justice" working group's listserv at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ufpj-global/>. By joining it, you may actually be able to exercise some influence on the political direction of UFPJ, the sort of actions that UFPJ sponsors or endorses, the kind of educational materials that UFPJ disseminates, etc., if you don't mind working with 111 activists (who are currently subscribed to the UFPJ GJ listserv), most of whom aren't on the same page as you are in terms of understanding what capitalism is, how it works, etc. (and some of whom likely have major objections to using such terms as "capitalist" in UFPJ materials at all).

[I'm tied up with UFPJ's Iraq and Palestine working groups, as well as its steering committee and O25 committee, so I don't have time to get involved in the "Global Justice" working group.]

To participate in a UFPJ working group, you are supposed to have an activist group of which you are a member join UFPJ first of all:

***** Join United for Peace & Justice If after reading the About Us section <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=16> of this website your group decides it wants to join United for Peace & Justice, please email members at unitedforpeace.org with your group's name and a contact person we can get in touch with.

<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=18> *****

As things stand, there is no (group or individual) membership due, so, probably, you can get any activist group in which you have some influence join UFPJ nominally and begin working on changing the minds of UFPJ activists right away. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>